What is periodontitis?
Periodontitis is a periodontal disease that consists of inflammation and infection of the ligaments and bones that support the teeth.
What causes periodontitis?
- Tobacco: the smoker has less gingival bleeding and less inflammation than the non-smoking patient, so periodontal diagnosis is made later. It is vital, it is these cases,to do periodic reviews in IMOI
- Diabetes: Diabetic people are more likely to have infections and develop periodontitis.
- Medications:Some antidepressant or heart medications may decrease salivation and periodontal gum disease may develop.
- Hormonal changes: In women, hormonal changes affect the gums more. In pregnant women, regular checkups for periodontal problems are important.
How do I know if I have symptoms of periodontitis?
The periodontal disease has very obvious manifestations. Note the following:
- Bleeding gums when brushing your teeth.
- Pus between your teeth and gums.
- Red, swollen or painful gums.
- Bite changes.
- Persistent bad breath.
How do we treat periodontitis in IMOI?
At IMOI we have a medical team specialized in dentistry (access this section to see our medical chart) so we recommend that regular visits to our clinics will make prevention the best medicine. Periodontitis cannot be completely cured because the supporting tissue cannot be rebuilt.
However, we can stop disease progression using scaling and root brushing procedures in conjunction with antimicrobial treatments. In case of need, the periodontist can perform surgical treatments such as pocket reduction surgery and also tissue grafts to consolidate the bone and to improve the aesthetic appearance of the oral cavity.
Book an appointment at our dental clinics in Barcelona and Ibiza and on your first visit we will perform a complete dental study and a CT scan completely free of charge where we will be able to diagnose the existing problem. Access this section to see all the treatments you will have for free on your first visit
If you have any questions you can use the chat on this page to be able to make your queries to our specialists.
Call and book your visit for free
Barcelona 667 657 371
Eivissa 667 657 373
If you prefer, we'll call you
Book your Free visit now
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.